► General Volleyball Information
The volleyball season starts the first day of school and ends near the end of October. The season consists of 7 HISD District matches and at least one Friday/Saturday weekend tournament (one for A Team and one for B Team). District matches are on Thursday nights (B Team played at 5:15pm; the A Team at 6:15pm). The first two games of each match are played up to 25 points (must win by two). A third game will be played (even if it’s not needed) up to 15 points or 25 points, depending on time.
► What is REQUIRED for all Volleyball players?
- Be registered on the CABC website (www.creekwoodathletics.com). Instructions available on the [FAQs] tab on the left side of home page.
- Return a completed Student Athlete Emergency Card to a volleyball coach.
- Return a signed HISD Policies Signature Page to a volleyball coach.
- Purchase CMS Athletic Uniform for their athlete. Available for sale in August at Colt Round Up - $20 for T-shirt and Shorts.
- Provide their athlete with tennis shoes and kneepads.
- Provide socks and tennis shoes (mandatory, no restrictions on styles or colors)
- Have a good attitude. Work hard. Be academically eligible.
- 7th graders: Be dressed and ready to practice by 7:15am in tennis shoes, knee pads and CMS athletic uniform.
- 8th graders: Be dressed and ready to practice for 7th period until 5:00pm in tennis shoes, knee pads and CMS athletic uniform.
► Do all athletes automatically make the volleyball team?
All girl athletes are invited to tryout for volleyball. Tryouts start the first day of school for 8th graders and the second day of school for 7th graders. Last year roughly 80 girls per grade competed for approximately 27 spots (~12 for A Team and ~15 for B Team). Teams are decided based on skill level and attitude.
Those who choose not to play volleyball or do not make a team will participate in off-season training to prepare for Cross Country and/or Track-n-Field. 7th graders in off-season run during 1st period. 8th graders in off-season run during 7th period.
► What is the practice schedule for volleyball?
- Players must be ready to practice by 7:15 every Mon, Tues, Wed and Friday. Thursdays are late arrival days, thus players must be ready to go by start of first period.
- Players practice until 5pm Monday-Thursday and until 4:30pm on Fridays. No practice after school on game days.
Note: Students are expected to be at every practice. We make exceptions for school related activities, such as band (where other arrangements can’t be made). Tutoring needs to be done before school (for 8th grade) and after school (for 7th grade). If there is a problem with tutoring not being offered, please let the coach know. Also, if a child is sick, the parents should send an email to the appropriate coach, the morning their child will be out, to inform them that she will miss practice/game.
► Volleyball Uniforms:
CMS to provide each athlete that makes a volleyball team:
- Athletic Bag
- Jersey and shorts
Note: These items are checked out to each athlete at the beginning of the season and checked back in at the end. Please be sure to wash jerseys in cold water and do NOT use fabric softener. Also, please hang dry the uniforms, NEVER put them in the dryer.
► Will we have Volleyball Team T-shirts?
Yes. Volleyball Team T-shirts are designed by the coaches, specifically for the players, who wear them on game day. However, many parents/siblings etc. also order for themselves. Team T-shirt information will be emailed to volleyball families at the start of the season, posted on the CABC website, and orders processed on the CABC website ONLINE STORE. Note: These Team T-shirts are separate from the general CABC Creekwood merchandise sale held in May each year.
► What is the game schedule?
As soon we receive the game schedule from HISD Athletic Department we will post it on this CABC Website on the Team Volleyball pages.
Volleyball game schedules for 2015-16 will be posted by early August 2015. Be sure to check the team volleyball pages.
► What about volleyball tournaments?
Each year, HISD hosts two volleyball tournaments. One Friday/Saturday weekend the A team is scheduled and another Friday/Saturday weekend the B Team is scheduled. The dates of the tournaments will be known/posted on the website at the start of the season. The specific bracket schedules are available and sent to parents early the week before the tournament. CMS provides bus transportation to and from the tournaments. The girls are expected to stay at the facility in-between games. You may bring them food/drink or they may purchase food/drinks IF the facility operates a concessions stand.
All eight HISD Middle Schools are responsible for hosting part of each tournament. The volleyball team managers will be contacting volleyball parents inviting them to help provide food and drinks for all referees and coaches working the tournaments.
► Transportation Logistics:
All players are required to ride the bus to each away game. All players are encouraged to ride the bus back to CMS after all away games to foster the team atmosphere and attitude. However, the coaches understand there may be an occasion when a player needs to ride home with a parent after the games are finished. The parent will need to contact the coach, by email, the morning of the game explaining the situation. Then, after the games, the parent will need to go to the coach and physically sign out the player before they leave the gym
► What about game day food and drinks? Will they be provided?
Families have a few options regarding providing food/drink for their athlete before a game.
- Purchase pre-game meal package from selected caterer (last year we used Jason's Deli; 7 games for $44). Early in the season, parents can sign-up and pay for their athlete to have a sandwich, chips, cookie and bottle of water to be delivered before each district game. No catered game meals for tournaments.
- Athletes may bring food/drink to school in the morning.
- Parents may deliver food/drink to the CMS Front Office no later than 3pm.
► What is a typical game day like for my player?
Immediately after school, athletes go to their locker room and change into their uniforms. If they have an away game, they quickly board the bus and eat (IF desired, while riding to the game site). If they have a home game, they quickly eat (IF desired) then warm-up for their game. A Team is encouraged to do any homework first, then watch/cheer the B Team players. B Team is encouraged to do the same for the A Team after they finish their games.
► What if I have more questions?
Volleyball logistics questions: Contact the sport team manager. Click the team page you are interested in to find the team manager name and email link.
Non-logistics questions: Contact your athlete’s volleyball coach directly. You can also contact the Head Girls Coach & CMS Assistant Athletic Coordinator – Lisa Aguirre.